errors after upgrade to 3.4.6

Jim Fox

On a trial uprgade from idp 3.4.4 to 3.4.6 I get this error when invoking
a duo login.

==================================
2019-11-07 14:48:06,901 - ERROR [org.opensaml.messaging.context.BaseContext:343] - No such method error on creating subcontext
java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: net.shibboleth.idp.authn.context.ExternalAuthenticationContext.<init>()
2019-11-07 14:48:06,903 - ERROR [org.springframework.webflow.execution.FlowExecutionException:76] -
org.springframework.webflow.execution.FlowExecutionException: Exception thrown in state 'DisplayDuoWebView' of flow 'authn/uwduo'
         at org.springframework.webflow.engine.impl.FlowExecutionImpl.wrap(FlowExecutionImpl.java:573)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Exception occurred rendering view org.springframework.web.servlet.view.velocity.VelocityView: name 'duo'; URL [duo.vm]
         at org.springframework.webflow.mvc.view.AbstractMvcView.render(AbstractMvcView.java:208)
Caused by: org.springframework.web.util.NestedServletException: Method invocation failed during rendering of Velocity view with name 'duo': Invocation of method 'getSubcontext' in  class net.shibboleth.idp.authn.context.AuthenticationContext threw exception org.opensaml.messaging.MessageRuntimeException: Error creating subcontext at duo.vm[line 25, column 47]; reference [authenticationContext], method 'getSubcontext'; nested exception is org.opensaml.messaging.MessageRuntimeException: Error creating subcontext
         at org.springframework.web.servlet.view.velocity.VelocityView.mergeTemplate(VelocityView.java:526)
Caused by: org.opensaml.messaging.MessageRuntimeException: Error creating subcontext
         at org.opensaml.messaging.context.BaseContext.createSubcontext(BaseContext.java:344)
Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: net.shibboleth.idp.authn.context.ExternalAuthenticationContext.<init>()
==================================

This was just a basic "bin/install.sh" upgrade from the 3.4.6 distribution.

Using:

Server version: Apache Tomcat/8.0.28

It's not critical for me, but I'd like some ideas about what's going wrong.

Thanks,
Jim

Re: errors after upgrade to 3.4.6

Morgan, Andrew Jason
Is it related to the redesign of the External login flow in v3.4.6?

I see that you have a flow "authn/uwduo"...

Andy Morgan
Identity & Access Management
Oregon State University

Re: errors after upgrade to 3.4.6

Cantor, Scott E.
On 11/7/19, 8:58 PM, "users on behalf of Morgan, Andrew Jason" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

> Is it related to the redesign of the External login flow in v3.4.6?

Yes, as outlined in the Release Notes.

Re: errors after upgrade to 3.4.6

Jim Fox

>> Is it related to the redesign of the External login flow in v3.4.6?
>
> Yes, as outlined in the Release Notes.

I'll make an effort to read release notes more carefully.  We don't use
external flow, so I kinda skipped that part.

On 11/8/19, 12:00 PM, "users on behalf of Jim Fox" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

> I'll make an effort to read release notes more carefully.  We don't use
> external flow, so I kinda skipped that part.

I didn't make the decision lightly, but the alternatives to fix it were very ugly and a lot less robust.

As for what you're doing, unfortunately there really isn't a supportable way to do it. Duplicating the non-API class(es) you're using is really the only course you can take that won't put you at risk of the same issue in the future, though it will always be noted if we have to change something like that.

Re: errors after upgrade to 3.4.6

Jim Fox

>> I'll make an effort to read release notes more carefully.  We don't use
>> external flow, so I kinda skipped that part.
>
> I didn't make the decision lightly, but the alternatives to fix it were very ugly and a lot less robust.
>
> As for what you're doing, unfortunately there really isn't a supportable way to do it. Duplicating the non-API class(es) you're using is really the only course you can take that won't put you at risk of the same issue in the future, though it will always be noted if we have to change something like that.

Using the impl classes might be the lazy way to go, but it does force me to stay current with released code.  And I have a lot less code of my own to keep track of. In the long run I'm fine with the overhead of adapting to impl changes, just as, when going to 4.0, I know I may have to adapt to API changes.

Jim