Switching platform for Shibboleth IdP and SP

Switching platform for Shibboleth IdP and SP

Feinstein, Moses

Currently we have Shibboleth IdP 4.0.1 running on CentOS 8, which is no longer supported by Red Hat.

We are looking to migrate to anther preferably free distribution.

Beside going with RHEL licensed version, are there any free Linux distribution that have been tested by community running Shib IdP 4.0.1?

Thanks.

Moses Feinstein

Re: Switching platform for Shibboleth IdP and SP

Ryan Suarez-2
We run Shib IdP on Ubuntu LTS.

regards,
Ryan

On Sun, 2020-12-20 at 15:55 +0000, Feinstein, Moses wrote:

> Currently we have Shibboleth IdP 4.0.1 running on CentOS 8, which is
> no longer supported by Red Hat.
>
> We are looking to migrate to anther preferably free distribution.
>
> Beside going with RHEL licensed version, are there any free Linux
> distribution that have been tested by community running Shib IdP
> 4.0.1?
>

> Thanks.
>

> Moses Feinstein

RE: Switching platform for Shibboleth IdP and SP

Feinstein, Moses
Thanks Ryan,

I was debating between

Ubuntu Server
OpenSuse
Debian

Is there any particular reason why you favor Ubuntu over others?

Moses Feinstein
Sr. Software / IAM Engineer, App Dev Dept

--
For Consortium Member technical support, see https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/x/coFAAg__;!!HoV-yHU!6MNiUsYjDZ5_UsuWUE8ptn_FQF3idPV0WbRxKHyglzZk-2JZV4_-P5U9T9wRKW4IEpCCjA$

Re: Switching platform for Shibboleth IdP and SP

* Feinstein, Moses <[hidden email]> [2020-12-20 16:55]:
> Currently we have Shibboleth IdP 4.0.1 running on CentOS 8, which is
> no longer supported by Red Hat.

Not sure it's useful to imply it was "supported" by IBM before but
it's an upstream to RHEL8 now, no longer a downstream.
I guess the real question is how the wider community (not limited to
Shib IDP deployer) will react to that.

> We are looking to migrate to anther preferably free distribution.
>
> Beside going with RHEL licensed version, are there any free Linux
> distribution that have been tested by community running Shib IdP
> 4.0.1?

Debian's Java at least is "partally supported":
https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/IDP4/SystemRequirements

Debian "stable" has served us well for over a decade now (going well
beyond the age of IDPv4, of course). It's also the default/recommended
IDP platform in a few European academic identity federations, meaning
the IDP is deployed there in the hundreds.

Also, Debian "stable" has always supplied usable OpenJDK (7, 8, then
11) and in recent times even Jetty (currently 9.4) and Tomcat (7, 8,
now 9) versions. (Which may just have been a fortunate alignment by
chance, of course, and doesn't say anything about the future, with the
next Debian release becoming "stable" in half a year or so.)

Not that the Shib project cares much for distribution-supplied/packaged
servlet containers (though I personally have had nothing but good
experiences, or at least can't remember any others anymore)...