Stack trace for uncaught exception?

Shibboleth - Users mailing list

We upgraded to IdP 4.0.1 (plus Jetty 9.4.31 and RHEL7-provided openjdk-11) yesterday (extremely smooth overall thanks to good advice from Scott and the team - thanks!!).

We are getting a small number of these:

2020-12-28 08:53:12,127 - 10.21.43.63 - ERROR [net.shibboleth.idp.authn:-2] - Uncaught runtime exception java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: range=en_us at java.base/java.util.Locale$LanguageRange.<init>(Locale.java:3059)

The errors in question are coming from the embedded browser in the 4D database client (user agent:
"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/72.0.3626.121 Safari/537.36").  Visiting the page in "real" Safari (same useragent but with "Chrome/87.0.4280.88 ") does not trigger the exception.

This was working on our previous IdP (3.3.0, Jetty 9.3.something, RHEL7-provided Oracle JDK 8).

Unfortunately the error does not include a stack trace, and there's no other log messages nearby to get an idea of where the problem is.  From the jetty access logs, I can confirm that the error is occurring immediately on receipt of the initial SAML2 Redirect SSO request (which returns an HTTP 500 error instead of redirecting to the Spring "execution" flow URL as one would expect).

Is there a way to get the stack trace logged when an uncaught exception occurs?
--
%%  Christopher A. Bongaarts   %%  [hidden email]          %%
%%  OIT - Identity Management  %%  http://umn.edu/~cab  %%

Re: Stack trace for uncaught exception?

Cantor, Scott E.
On 12/28/20, 12:22 PM, "users on behalf of Christopher Bongaarts via users" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

>    The errors in question are coming from the embedded browser in the 4D database client (user agent:

Seems to be a lot of that.

 >    This was working on our previous IdP (3.3.0, Jetty 9.3.something, RHEL7-provided Oracle JDK 8).

I assume the old code may have manually parsed those headers and not been correctly coded. We use Java's API to do it now, it just does what it does and those are invalid, so it rejects them.

But I assume somebody must have filed a bug on this somewhere? If it's being uncaught, that's a bug. I'd suggest filing it to make sure we get to it.

>    Is there a way to get the stack trace logged when an uncaught exception occurs?

Well, I would have thought that it was simply passing the underlying exception to logback. The code is supposed to do that, and then it would be up to the stack trace setting in the logback format string, which we have set to full I think.

Re: Stack trace for uncaught exception?

Cantor, Scott E.
(And obviously, it should just log and ignore an invalid header in that area.)

-- Scott

    For Consortium Member technical support, see https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/x/coFAAg__;!!KGKeukY!iRvZOdj-pXCGUJpfz6cNkwk1sk10CJ--1SNO6I_rhY_SnD9Kxjdxg73psAaQVIQ$

RE: Stack trace for uncaught exception?

> But I assume somebody must have filed a bug on this somewhere? If it's being uncaught, that's a bug. I'd suggest filing it to make
sure
> we get to it.

I have now....

On 12/28/2020 12:29 PM, Cantor, Scott wrote:

>     Is there a way to get the stack trace logged when an uncaught exception occurs?
> Well, I would have thought that it was simply passing the underlying exception to logback. The code is supposed to do that, and then it would be up to the stack trace setting in the logback format string, which we have set to full I think.

Just to close the loop on this - we had our logback.xml set to log
"short" stack traces to idp-process.log and "full" traces to
idp-warn.log, so I was able to see this more fully (and confirmed that
Rod's issue/fix should cover it - thanks!!).

I also encouraged my colleague who reported the problem to file a bug
with 4D now that we know exactly what it is sending and not supposed to :)

--
%%  Christopher A. Bongaarts   %%  [hidden email]          %%
%%  OIT - Identity Management  %%  http://umn.edu/~cab  %%
%%  University of Minnesota    %%  +1 (612) 625-1809    %%

RE: Stack trace for uncaught exception?

Rod Widdowson
>  (and confirmed that
> Rod's issue/fix should cover it - thanks!!).

Thanks for confirming this.

Rod