Shibboleth and Sharepoint 2010 Error 503 service unavailable

Shibboleth and Sharepoint 2010 Error 503 service unavailable

rphipps
Hello Shibboleth forum users,

We have a SharePoint farm deployed with the standard 3 front ends for a medium - large scale farm. We occasionally get 503 service unavailable errors. The 503 error ONLY happens to sharepoint applications that have Shibboleth authentication.

On one occasion when this happened I noticed that one of our application pools was stopped. I started it and share point came back online. Sometimes this doesnt fix the problem and a reboot of the front ends fixes it until the next time it happens. I have a feeling it has something to do with the configuration of IIS to work with Shibboleth.

Is there any way to better troubleshoot this and possibly track down the issue? I have looked over the httperr log files and IIS logs.

Thanks