Shibboleth 3, IIS 8.5 Server 2012 Crashing Application Pool

Shibboleth 3, IIS 8.5 Server 2012 Crashing Application Pool

RaymondFord
I have a new install of Shibboleth on a new install of IIS on a Windows
Server 2012.

I keep receiving a 503 error.

The Shibboleth log has:

2019-12-02 10:51:34 ERROR Shibboleth.Listener [20]: error reading size of
input message
2019-12-02 10:51:34 ERROR Shibboleth.Listener [20]: failed socket call
(unknown), result (0): No error
2019-12-02 10:51:34 ERROR Shibboleth.Listener [20]: I/O failure processing
request on socket (568)

Once i restart the application pool, i can get the Shibboleth session.

From what i have read, this seems like an IIS error.

Application pool 'myTesting' is being automatically disabled due to a series
of failures in the process(es) serving that application pool.

A process serving application pool 'myTesting' terminated unexpectedly. The
process id was '3652'. The process exit code was '0xe0434352'.

What causes it?
Where can I look to find out what is causing it.

--
Sent from: https://shibboleth.1660669.n2.nabble.com/Shibboleth-Users-f1660767.html

Re: Shibboleth 3, IIS 8.5 Server 2012 Crashing Application Pool

RaymondFord
Well after a week of banging my head against the wall we finally figured out
the issue.
I just hope that anyone that reads this does not go through what I did.

The issue was with the newest version of Shibboleth, 3.0.4.

I uninstalled 3.0.4 and installed 3.0.3 and everything started working
properly.

--
Sent from: https://shibboleth.1660669.n2.nabble.com/Shibboleth-Users-f1660767.html

Re: Shibboleth 3, IIS 8.5 Server 2012 Crashing Application Pool

Cantor, Scott E.
On 12/6/19, 3:12 PM, "users on behalf of RaymondFord" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

> The issue was with the newest version of Shibboleth, 3.0.4.
> I uninstalled 3.0.4 and installed 3.0.3 and everything started working properly.

Whatever the uninstall/reinstall did probably fixed an issue that has nothing to do with that update, and you're now on a version with a trivial denial of service bug in it.

The only issue known to cause crashes in 3.0.4 is just as broken in 3.0.3, the cookie session recovery feature. There are hardly any changes at all in that patch, and nothing on the IIS side.

Most crashes on the app pool side that aren't DLL conflicts are usually permission-related.

RE: Shibboleth 3, IIS 8.5 Server 2012 Crashing Application Pool

Boyd, Todd M.
As Scott has already said, I doubt the version discrepancy was the actual culprit; I'm likewise thinking the installation procedure itself is what corrected your problem. I would be willing to bet that reinstalling 3.0.4 at this point will render a working installation.

-Todd

RE: Shibboleth 3, IIS 8.5 Server 2012 Crashing Application Pool

Boyd, Todd M.
Additionally... for what it's worth, we are using Shibboleth SP 3.0.4.1 and IIS 8.5 without any problems on 2012 R2.

-Todd

On 12/6/19, 4:08 PM, "users on behalf of Boyd, Todd M." <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

> Additionally... for what it's worth, we are using Shibboleth SP 3.0.4.1 and IIS 8.5 without any problems on 2012 R2.

I suspected as much after this many months in. I don't usually have to wait for "it just completely broke" screaming, but it's good to have independent confirmation there's nothing systemic.