SP2.1 on MS-IIS5, HTTP 404 on handlerURL

SP2.1 on MS-IIS5, HTTP 404 on handlerURL

Peter Schober
I just completely removed (software, modify, remove) an SP 1.3 install
from our only SP on MS-Windows, and it's an aging MS-Windows 2000
Server with MS-IIS 5 with an (up to a few minites ago) working Shib
install. I rebooted the machine (and restarted MS-IIS) whenever the
Wiki recommended it, so this should be all in order.

Installing Shib 2.1 was a piece of cake (MSI installer, accept all
defaults, etc.), and everything mentioned on
https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/SHIB2/NativeSPWindowsIIS5Installer
seems to be just fine (ISAPI filter mapps to DLL, comes with a green
arrow, loads after sspifilt, with priority High; .sso mapping to the
DLL is OK, etc.). Shibd runs and I can connect to it with telnet.

The problems is that while requests to protected ressources are
intercepted and redirected to the IdP (e.g. if requireSession="true"
for a PAth in the RequestMap) the handlerURL and everything below is
not found (HTTP 404).

native.logger and shibd.loger are both on DEBUG for the rootCategory.

shibd.log only sees log entries for protected ressources (and the
usual INFO stuff for cleaned up working threads etc.), native.log sees
every single request and invariably logs "mapped ... to default".
so no ERRORs or WARNs in either log, but 404s on accessing
/Shibboleth.sso.*

The Event Viewer also shows nothing special (only a warning for the
isapi filter because of some missing info in the DLL).

Any ideas what still might be wrong?
Cheers,

[hidden email] - vienna university computer center
Universitaetsstrasse 7, A-1010 Wien, Austria/Europe
Tel. +43-1-4277-14155, Fax. +43-1-4277-9140

RE: SP2.1 on MS-IIS5, HTTP 404 on handlerURL

Cantor, Scott E.
Peter Schober wrote on 2009-01-22:
> Any ideas what still might be wrong?

Is the filter actually showing a mapped request to /Shibboleth.sso/whatever?

If it's a true 404, it's probably not a permissions thing, like authorizing
the extension to run for the web site. That usually has a weirder error, but
I'd check that anyway.

Otherwise, most likely would seem to be that the sso mapping isn't there. If
it's present on the global level, I'd apply the same mapping on the root of
the web site. Sometimes IIS seems to override the mappings and not inherit
them. "Sometimes" means "whenever it damn well feels like it with no
apparent differences from a working site".

Re: SP2.1 on MS-IIS5, HTTP 404 on handlerURL

Peter Schober
* Scott Cantor <[hidden email]> [2009-01-22 19:01]:
> Peter Schober wrote on 2009-01-22:
> > Any ideas what still might be wrong?
>
> Is the filter actually showing a mapped request to
> /Shibboleth.sso/whatever?

native.log shows the requests (any) and they are all mapped to default
(default applicationId in the RequestMap, I understand). No difference
in observable behaviour if I GET /Shibboleth.sso/Foo or /Bar.sso/Baz
or /WhateverElseImightThinkOf

> If it's a true 404, it's probably not a permissions thing, like
> authorizing the extension to run for the web site. That usually has
> a weirder error, but I'd check that anyway.

I also ruled out persmissions because IIS and everything else is
untouched except for the s/1.3/2.1/ change (logs are created, etc).
The mapping is configured exactly as described on
https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/SHIB2/NativeSPWindowsIIS5Installer
in section 2.

> Otherwise, most likely would seem to be that the sso mapping isn't
> there. If it's present on the global level, I'd apply the same
> mapping on the root of the web site. Sometimes IIS seems to override
> the mappings and not inherit them. "Sometimes" means "whenever it
> damn well feels like it with no apparent differences from a working
> site".

Spot on. Manually adding the mapping (again) to the default web page
fixed this. Thanks a lot! (I don't know a thing about MS-IIS.)