SP logging when in foreground versions 3.0.3 and 3.0.4

SP logging when in foreground versions 3.0.3 and 3.0.4

Scott Koranda-2
Hi,

I am trying to track down a discrepancy in logging behaviour I see
between two SP deployments. One is SP 3.0.3 and one is SP 3.0.4.
Both were built from source and otherwise run as expected.

Both deployments run shibd in the foreground (-F) and Apache HTTP Server
is also running in the foreground. Both deployments have identical
shibd.logger, native.logger, and console.logger files/configurations.

In neither deployment is the environment variable SHIBSP_LOGGING set.

The shibboleth2.xml configuration is the same for both deployments,
modulo local details like entityID.

With SP 3.0.3 during startup the shibd process uses the configuration
from shibd.logger but then this is logged

DEBUG Shibboleth.Config : loading new logging configuration from (/etc/shibboleth/console.logger), check log destination for status of configuration

and after that the shibd process uses the configuration from
console.logger. The same is true for the in process module. It logs

DEBUG Shibboleth.Config : loading new logging configuration from (/etc/shibboleth/console.logger), check log destination for status of configuration

and then it begins to use the logging configuration from console.logger.

With SP 3.0.4, the shibd process starts up using shibd.logger and does
NOT log anything about loading a new logging configuration. The same
is true for the in process module. Both continue to use the logging
configuration in shibd.logger and native.logger respectively.

I have read the release notes for 3.0.4 (the six JIRA Issues referenced)
but I don't see anything to indicate that the logging behavior would
have changed between SP 3.0.3 and SP 3.0.4.

Note that SP 3.0.3 is using XMLTooling-C 3.0.0 and SP 3.0.4 is using
XMLTooling-C 3.0.4. Is it possible that a change in XMLTooling-C is
the cause of the difference?

I appreciate any insights or ideas on why the two deployments
behave differently given what I think are nearly identical
configurations. What have I missed?

Thanks,

Scott K

Re: SP logging when in foreground versions 3.0.3 and 3.0.4

Cantor, Scott E.
On 8/23/19, 1:53 PM, "dev on behalf of Scott Koranda" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

> I have read the release notes for 3.0.4 (the six JIRA Issues referenced)
> but I don't see anything to indicate that the logging behavior would
> have changed between SP 3.0.3 and SP 3.0.4.

I reviewed the commit logs, there's nothing there that recent. It's environmental.

> Note that SP 3.0.3 is using XMLTooling-C 3.0.0 and SP 3.0.4 is using
> XMLTooling-C 3.0.4. Is it possible that a change in XMLTooling-C is
> the cause of the difference?

No.

They have to be using different configurations.

Re: SP logging when in foreground versions 3.0.3 and 3.0.4

Scott Koranda-2
> On 8/23/19, 1:53 PM, "dev on behalf of Scott Koranda" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I have read the release notes for 3.0.4 (the six JIRA Issues referenced)
> > but I don't see anything to indicate that the logging behavior would
> > have changed between SP 3.0.3 and SP 3.0.4.
>
> I reviewed the commit logs, there's nothing there that recent. It's environmental.
>
> > Note that SP 3.0.3 is using XMLTooling-C 3.0.0 and SP 3.0.4 is using
> > XMLTooling-C 3.0.4. Is it possible that a change in XMLTooling-C is
> > the cause of the difference?
>
> No.
>
> They have to be using different configurations.

Thanks. I will investigate further.

One last question:

Is it expected that for some configuration shibd will start with
shibd.logger but then switch to using console.logger beccause it is
running in the foreground?

I am trying to understand what configuration (or lack thereof) might
cause that behavior.

On 8/23/19, 2:26 PM, "dev on behalf of Scott Koranda" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

> Is it expected that for some configuration shibd will start with
> shibd.logger but then switch to using console.logger beccause it is
> running in the foreground?

No, but there are dozens of variations across versions with how it defaults things dating back to 2.0. There's just nothing that recent changed.

> I am trying to understand what configuration (or lack thereof) might
> cause that behavior.

The logger attributes in the configuration tell it what to do but there are combinations that do unexpected things since all the defaulting was added to reduce the size of the file in 2.4 and it's all over the place since then. I'm sure I changed some of it in 3.0, but I don't think anything since then.

It's nothing to do with foreground vs. background generally. Only the command line utilities explicitly relied on the console logging by design.