Manage slow response from SP

Ramm
Any suggestions on displaying some kind message instead of showing a blank page (https://<mysite>/idp/profile/SAML2/POST/SSO) before IDP successfully redirects user to SP site.

Right now my SPs are very slow, after user gets authenticated, they get https://<mysite>/idp/profile/SAML2/POST/SSO page and see no activity (browser status also says 'Done' ) for few seconds. This is causing some people to think IDP got stuck ?

Thinking of putting a message saying 'Contacting service provider. Please wait ... (display seconds counter)' . Any ideas on where and how to implement this ?

Re: Manage slow response from SP

Jim Fox

Just for that reason we put this message on the 'blank' page:

    Your browser is being redirected to the web resource site you are
    trying to access. If there is no response after 20 seconds,
    use the Reload button on your browser to try again.
    If this fails, contact [hidden email] or telephone
    xxx-xxx-xxxx for assistance.

The pages are velocity templates and can be found in the opensaml jar.
(templates/*.vm).  Extract them from the jar, edit them, and put them back.

Jim

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010, Ramm wrote:

> Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:38:26 -0700
> From: Ramm <[hidden email]>
> To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Shib-Users] Manage slow response from SP
>

> Any suggestions on displaying some kind message instead of showing a blank
> page (https://<mysite>/idp/profile/SAML2/POST/SSO) before IDP successfully
> redirects user to SP site.
>
> Right now my SPs are very slow, after user gets authenticated, they get
> https://<mysite>/idp/profile/SAML2/POST/SSO page and see no activity
> (browser status also says 'Done' ) for few seconds. This is causing some
> people to think IDP got stuck ?
>
> Thinking of putting a message saying 'Contacting service provider. Please
> wait ... (display seconds counter)' . Any ideas on where and how to
> implement this ?

Re: Manage slow response from SP

Brent Putman

On 3/24/2010 3:38 PM, Ramm wrote:
> Any suggestions on displaying some kind message instead of showing a blank
> page (https://<mysite>/idp/profile/SAML2/POST/SSO) before IDP successfully
> redirects user to SP site.
>

> Thinking of putting a message saying 'Contacting service provider. Please
> wait ... (display seconds counter)' . Any ideas on where and how to
> implement this ?

This thread from last year is relevant:

http://groups.google.com/group/shibboleth-users/browse_thread/thread/52006ad80472fdf7/49ee05386dfebdbe?lnk=gst&q=Velocity#49ee05386dfebdbe

The Jira issue mentioned there is:

https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/SIDPT-19

Chad moved that to the IdP 3.x project, so that implies there probably
won't be an officially documented/supported solution in 2.x.

In addition to the info in that thread (basically the same as Jim's
suggestion), another (equally unsupported) method would be to put your
custom Velocity templates in a distinct jar file, and add that to the
IdP jar set.  Then in the IdP's conf/internal.xml, change the template
arg that is supplied on the shibboleth.SAML2HttpPostEncoder bean (under
shibboleth.MessageEncoders) to the path of your template in your custom
jar file.  Probably want to make the path distinct in some way to your
organization, so it doesn't conflict with anything else.  This at least
avoids cracking open and modifying the opensaml jar file, which you'd
have to redo everytime the IdP updates the opensaml library version.

HTH,
Brent