IdP 4 beta-1: idp-metadata.xml missing?

Silke Meyer
Hello all,

thank you for the beta-1 release! \o/

Is this the place to ask things we notice when trying it out?
I found myself with a test installation which lacks the auto-generated
idp-metadata.xml.

As it should be somewhere according to the installation manual at [1], I
am wondering if I omitted anything or if it is a bug in the installer.

root@host:/opt/shibboleth-idp# find . -name "*metadata*"
./metadata
./metadata/sp1-metadata.xml
./metadata/sp2-metadata.xml
./conf/metadata-providers.xml
./dist/conf/metadata-providers.xml
./dist/webapp/WEB-INF/jsp/metadata.jsp
./system/conf/metadata-providers-system.xml
./system/flows/admin/reload-metadata-beans.xml
./system/flows/admin/reload-metadata-flow.xml
./bin/reload-metadata.sh
./bin/reload-metadata.bat

Thanks for your help and greeting,
Silke Meyer

[1] https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/IDP4/Installation

Silke Meyer                            Phone  : +49 30 884299-306
DFN-Verein                             Fax    : +49 30 884299-370
Alexanderplatz 1                       E-Mail : [hidden email]
D-10178 Berlin                         WWW    : http://www.dfn.de

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: IdP 4 beta-1: idp-metadata.xml missing?

Peter Schober
* Silke Meyer <[hidden email]> [2020-02-06 11:34]:
> I found myself with a test installation which lacks the auto-generated
> idp-metadata.xml.

Given what Scott just wrote maybe that's on purpose?

* Cantor, Scott <[hidden email]> [2020-02-06 01:10]:
> > I noticed the metadata/idp-metadata.xml configuration file references
>
> There is no such configuration file. The IdP never uses its own
> metadata. That file is a dummy example file (really should never
> have been created, but it's historical) that's just a sample.

If the file itself is not generated by the installer I guess I'd want
a script to generate it on demand, the way it's done for the SP.

RE: IdP 4 beta-1: idp-metadata.xml missing?

Rod Widdowson
> Is this the place to ask things we notice when trying it out?

Here or Jira.

> As it should be somewhere according to the installation manual at [1], I
> am wondering if I omitted anything or if it is a bug in the installer.

It's certainly supposed to.  Whether that is a good idea is a different question.

I have IDP-1544 [1] for this.

Rod
[1] https://issues.shibboleth.net/jira/browse/IDP-1544

RE: IdP 4 beta-1: idp-metadata.xml missing?

> If the file itself is not generated by the installer I guess I'd want a script to
> generate it on demand, the way it's done for the SP.

I've looked at it, but the existing script has no IdP metadata capabilities to this point, and I never did a Windows version, so I've sort of punted on trying to use that as a replacement.

RE: IdP 4 beta-1: idp-metadata.xml missing?

Rod Widdowson
A couple of points.

1) I have found and fixed the issue.  It was a pretty classic case of two wrongs making an even wronger.
2) I _might_ be able to mock up an ant script (really) to allow metadata generator from an existing install (it's driven from
idp.properties), but I'd need an RFE

Thanks for the bug report

Rod

Re: IdP 4 beta-1: idp-metadata.xml missing?

Silke Meyer
Hi Scott, hi Rod,

thanks for looking into this! I understand one might not want/need the
idp-metadata.xml file in many contexts. But it is great for local
testing and training purposes.

Best,
Silke