HTTP-POST binding - Does SP need to make an HTTP POST?

HTTP-POST binding - Does SP need to make an HTTP POST?

Carl Waldbieser
First, let me say I only know enough SAML to operate our IdP.
In the past, I've performed SSO integrations with various Slack instances for different departments.  I was pretty sure they all used the HTTP-Redirect binding.

I was trying to do one today, and was running into trouble.  The support person I got a hold of pointed out I need to use HTTP-POST.  Which I did try, but Shib then errored out with "org.opensaml.messaging.decoder.MessageDecodingException: This message decoder only supports the HTTP POST method".

I think Shib is trying to tell me that if the SP wants to use the HTTP-POST binding, it needs to make an actual HTTP POST.  but the request is made via an HTTP GET.  Since I am no SAML expert, I want to know what the error actually means, instead of just guessing.

Thanks,
Carl Waldbieser
ITS
Lafayette College

Re: HTTP-POST binding - Does SP need to make an HTTP POST?

Cantor, Scott E.
On 12/9/19, 1:30 PM, "users on behalf of Carl Waldbieser" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

> I think Shib is trying to tell me that if the SP wants to use the HTTP-POST binding, it needs to make an actual HTTP POST.  > but the request is made via an HTTP GET.

Yes, that's what the error means.

HTTP-Redirect is GET, HTTP-POST is POST, and HTTP-Artifact is either.