Error starting up new install

Will Hartung-3
I seem to have an XML file problem.

Here's the relevant log fragment:

15:57:41.685 - ERROR [edu.internet2.middleware.shibboleth.common.config.BaseService:187] - Configuration was not loaded for shibboleth.RelyingPartyConfigurationManager service, error creating components.  The root cause of this error was: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Premature end of file.
15:57:41.687 - ERROR [org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/idp]:3768] - Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'shibboleth.RelyingPartyConfigurationManager': Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is edu.internet2.middleware.shibboleth.common.service.ServiceException: Configuration was not loaded for shibboleth.RelyingPartyConfigurationManager service, error creating components.

Here is a list of all the XML files in my /opt/shibboleth-idp directory tree:

./conf/relying-party.xml
./conf/handler.xml
./conf/service.xml
./conf/tc-config.xml
./conf/logging.xml
./conf/attribute-resolver.xml
./conf/internal.xml
./conf/attribute-filter.xml
./local/metadata.xml
./metadata/idp-metadata.xml

I have checked all of these files. I've run them through other tools to ensure that they're "well formed". They also look good by eye.

I have deployed Shib in Tomcat 5.5, and I'm using the idp.xml option in $CATALINA/conf/Catalina/localhost/idp.xml

It tries to start, but simply says that it failed.

Am I missing an XML file here? or a reference to an XML file? Any hints which file is bad?

Thanx!

Regards,

Will Hartung

Re: Error starting up new install

Brent Putman

Will Hartung wrote:

> I seem to have an XML file problem.
>
> Here's the relevant log fragment:
>
> 15:57:41.685 - ERROR
> [edu.internet2.middleware.shibboleth.common.config.BaseService:187] -
> Configuration was not loaded for
> shibboleth.RelyingPartyConfigurationManager service, error creating
> components.  The root cause of this error was:
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Premature end of file.

Since the error references the RelyingPartyConfigurationManager, the
problem is almost certainly with the relying-party.xml, probably a
corruption of some kind.  Maybe an extraneous character or a truncation
or something subtle?  Not all XML tools are created equal, maybe
whatever you used to verify well-formedness is giving you a false-positive.

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Brent Putman <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Since the error references the RelyingPartyConfigurationManag
er, the
> problem is almost certainly with the relying-party.xml, probably a
> corruption of some kind.  Maybe an extraneous character or a truncation
> or something subtle?  Not all XML tools are created equal, maybe
> whatever you used to verify well-formedness is giving you a false-positive.

I used the NetBeans 6.1 IDE Validate XML routine, which, I reckon, but do
not know, uses the Java XML parser.

It looks good via eyeball, and IDE syntax highlighting.

I could not attach relying-party.xml, however I have pasted it here:

http://pastebin.com/m15fe0e1d

This url is good for 1 month after today.

Could it also be something else? Could it be the "local/manifest.xml" file I have configured here, which at the moment has nothing but an empty comment in it?

Regards,

Will Hartung

Will Hartung wrote:
> It looks good via eyeball, and IDE syntax highlighting.
>
> I could not attach relying-party.xml, however I have pasted it here:
>
> http://pastebin.com/m15fe0e1d

Yeah, that file itself looks good to me too.  I diffed it against a
pristine copy, and looks like the only thing you've changed is the
addition of the filesystem metadata provider.  The syntax of that looks ok.

> Could it also be something else? Could it be the "local/manifest.xml" file I
> have configured here, which at the moment has nothing but an empty comment
> in it?

If you meant "local/metadata.xml" (not manifest), as in
"/opt/shibboleth-idp/local/metadata.xml" that your metadata provider
points to:  yes absolutely.  That has to be a valid metadata document
file.  The parsing error in the exception message about premature
end-of-file would be coming from that, rather than the actual parsing of
the relying-party.xml itself.  If you look in your logs farther up from
the entry that you posted, you should probably see some error coming
from the metadata provider, which would have tipped you off.

--Brent