updating the HTTP metadata provider pages

updating the HTTP metadata provider pages

Tom Scavo
Major updates to the HTTP metadata provider pages:

FileBackedHTTPMetadataProvider (new)
https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/x/jAHKAg

HTTPMetadataProviders https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/x/kQInAQ

Incoming links need to be tweaked but I wanted to get a green light
before continuing.

Thanks,

Tom

RE: updating the HTTP metadata provider pages

Rod Widdowson
Immediate comment:

House style is
- Intro
- {table of contents when relevant}
- Schema names
- Attributes
- Child Elements
- Examples

I haven't gone through the details of the attributes and elements - because it’s a new page it's hard to do this.  Have you changed
stuff in there?

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 11:27 AM, Rod Widdowson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I haven't gone through the details of the attributes and elements - because it’s a new page it's hard to do this.  Have you changed
> stuff in there?

Nope. I copied the content from HTTPMetadataProviders and then removed
all references to the HTTPMetadataProvider type.

Thanks for looking.

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 11:21 AM, Tom Scavo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Major updates to the HTTP metadata provider pages:
>
> FileBackedHTTPMetadataProvider (new)
> https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/x/jAHKAg
>
> HTTPMetadataProviders https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/x/kQInAQ

After Rod commented, I realized the above approach preserves the link
but breaks the history. There is another approach. I can revert what
I've done and rename "HTTPMetadataProviders" to
"FileBackedHTTPMetadataProvider" (with minor edits along the way) This
would break the link but preserve the history.

Which is preferable?

Tom

Re: updating the HTTP metadata provider pages

Rod Widdowson
I don’t think that the confluence inter-links get broken

Sent from my iPad

> On 29 Apr 2018, at 16:12, Tom Scavo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 11:21 AM, Tom Scavo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Major updates to the HTTP metadata provider pages:
>>
>> FileBackedHTTPMetadataProvider (new)
>> https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/x/jAHKAg
>>
>> HTTPMetadataProviders https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/x/kQInAQ
>
> After Rod commented, I realized the above approach preserves the link
> but breaks the history. There is another approach. I can revert what
> I've done and rename "HTTPMetadataProviders" to
> "FileBackedHTTPMetadataProvider" (with minor edits along the way) This
> would break the link but preserve the history.
>
> Which is preferable?
>
> Tom

Re: updating the HTTP metadata provider pages

Tom Scavo
On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 11:15 AM, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don’t think that the confluence inter-links get broken

Not "404 broken" but links outside of confluence (in bookmarks, the
archive, or on public web pages) still lead to the wrong page
(although the right page is just a click away). I call that "broken,
too.

In any case, I'm guessing you would rather preserve the history, right?

Tom

>> On 29 Apr 2018, at 16:12, Tom Scavo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 11:21 AM, Tom Scavo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Major updates to the HTTP metadata provider pages:
>>>
>>> FileBackedHTTPMetadataProvider (new)
>>> https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/x/jAHKAg
>>>
>>> HTTPMetadataProviders https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/x/kQInAQ
>>
>> After Rod commented, I realized the above approach preserves the link
>> but breaks the history. There is another approach. I can revert what
>> I've done and rename "HTTPMetadataProviders" to
>> "FileBackedHTTPMetadataProvider" (with minor edits along the way) This
>> would break the link but preserve the history.
>>
>> Which is preferable?
>>
>> Tom

RE: updating the HTTP metadata provider pages

Rod Widdowson
> In any case, I'm guessing you would rather preserve the history, right?

I'm not going to speak for the project on this, so this is an entirely personal opinion.

If this was code I would vote for history every time.  I use code revision history if not every day of my life at least twice a week.  We spent a great deal of effort when we moved to git (from SVN, from CVS) in preserving history - and there is some really interesting history back there (including IIRC snapshots of InCommon metadata from 10 years ago)

For the wiki, I don't use history much.  My initial question was whether you had changed anything - you said "no" and that was enough for me.  I care more about what changes on a daily basis (and yes I look at every single change that is made across our wiki space) rather than "what was this changed from 6 months ago".  Who cares?  It's not like I'm chasing up when a bug was introduced.  And it’s a wiki.

Added to this I have been spending a significant amount of time recently pulling together the SPV3 documentation and that has involved a great deal of cut and paste.

So I'm fine with knowing that the new page was a cut and paste done by someone I know.  If you really wanted to go the full distance you could have started with a tombstone pointing to the old page in case someone cares to chase backwards.

But, to reemphasise that is a personal position.  The rest of the devs may have other ideas.

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 4:11 AM, Rod Widdowson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> In any case, I'm guessing you would rather preserve the history, right?
>
> I don't use history much.

Okay.

> If you really wanted to go the full distance you could have started with a tombstone pointing to the old page in case someone cares to chase backwards.

If I'm understanding you correctly, the current HTTPMetadataProviders
page provides that capability:
https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/x/kQInAQ

In any case, the above page is fairly worthless as it stands, I admit.
I don't really see much practical use for it long term.

> But, to reemphasise that is a personal position.

Thanks for weighing in. I appreciate it.

Okay, here's what I'll do tomorrow unless someone objects in the meantime:

1. Revert the changes made on 4/28 (i.e., start from scratch)
2. Rename "HTTPMetadataProviders" to "FileBackedHTTPMetadataProvider"
3. Edit the incoming links

This preserves the history, which I think is the most valuable page
characteristic.

While I'm at it, I will rename "InlineMetadataProviderPlugin" to
"InlineMetadataProvider" for consistency with the other pages. In
other words, I will intentionally break two wiki links tomorrow.

Once the renaming is done, I plan to reconcile the "HTTP Client
Attributes" common to both "FileBackedHTTPMetadataProvider" and
"DynamicHTTPMetadataProvider." I see why those attributes are
duplicated across the HTTP metadata providers (because they have
different defaults) but the documentation is inconsistent at best.

Tom