question concerning different time zones for SP and Idp

question concerning different time zones for SP and Idp

csross
I am sorry for posting again but I did not realize that there were subforums where I should post.

I am installing the SP (v2) on a solaris server and it will be used together with an identity provider in another time zone. I believe I read that the times have to be identical on the servers.  Is that correct?  If so, how can I use this application server with IdPs that are possibly in different time zones?  If it was only one then I could just set the timezone file to match it.

Thank you very much.

Re: question concerning different time zones for SP and Idp

Nate Klingenstein
csross,

The times do have to be synchronized with a global clock, such as can
be done using ntpd.  That has nothing to do with the time zone,
though.  The software takes the time zone offset into account, so
whether you're running on local time or Z you'll be fine.

Take care,
Nate.

On Jun 13, 2009, at 10:57 PM, csross wrote:

> I am installing the SP (v2) on a solaris server and it will be used
> together
> with an identity provider in another time zone. I believe I read
> that the
> times have to be identical on the servers.  Is that correct?  If so,
> how can
> I use this application server with IdPs that are possibly in
> different time
> zones?  If it was only one then I could just set the timezone file
> to match
> it.

RE: [Shib-Users] question concerning different time zones for SP and Idp

csross

Hello,

Ok thank you.  The reason I asked was that I have 2 other servers in different time zones and I use NTP on all servers, but I have to set the TIMEZONE file to eastern on them so the mysql databases are synchronized between them with the correct time stamps.   So the shibboleth software accounts for different time zones.  Great.

You are very helpful.

Christine

This email is a reply to your post @ http://n2.nabble.com/question-concerning-different-time-zones-for-SP-and-Idp-tp3073890p3073904.html