expirationWarningThreshold

Tom Scavo
Last year we had a long conversation about
MetadataProvider/@expirationWarningThreshold. At the time, I didn't
understand it, and I had lots of questions, some of them very basic.
Thanks for bearing with me.

The good news is, I understand expirationWarningThreshold now, having
recently implemented something similar in bash. I would modify the
wiki documentation if it weren't for one small detail: I rather
strongly believe the config parameter should be called
expirationWarningInterval, not expirationWarningThreshold. In that
case, I would update the documentation as shown at the end of this
message.

I know you dislike this kind of feedback but there you have it. To
compensate, I contributed a story about a metadata early warning
system for the Shibboleth IdP:

https://issues.shibboleth.net/jira/browse/IDP-1245

The early warning system leverages the @creationInstant attribute in
metadata. Briefly, the following software changes are recommended:

1. Migrate expirationWarningThreshold to expirationWarningInterval
2. Add config parameter freshnessInterval
3. Add config parameter expectedValidityInterval
4. Add metadata filter RequiredCreationInstant

The story includes lots of documentation and examples. Enjoy :-)

For an *early* warning system, I think the @creationInstant attribute
is more important than the @validUntil attribute. By the time the
metadata is about to expire, it is too late!

Happy New Year!

Tom