compile liblog4shib Solaris 10

csross
I am compiling liblog4shib on Solaris 10 and received an error in the make (using SUNWspro cc and CC). Make is gnu make, as well as all the utilities (binutils).  I switched to gcc and g++ for this and it compiled fine.  Libcurl compiled fine with Sun cc, although openssl didn't so I am going to use SFW openssl.
I know the rules are to compile everything with Sun cc but since this one compiled fine with gcc, is it acceptable? Could it be something with libtool?

Thank you.

CC -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../include -I../include -mt -D_REENTRANT -xO2 -c AbortAppender.cpp  -KPIC -DPIC -o .libs/AbortAppender.o
/bin/bash ../libtool --mode=link CC  -mt -D_REENTRANT  -xO2   -o liblog4shib.la -rpath /opt/shibboleth-sp/lib -version-info 1:2:0 Appender.lo AppenderSkeleton.lo LayoutAppender.lo FileAppender.lo RollingFileAppender.lo FixedContextCategory.lo IdsaAppender.lo OstreamAppender.lo StringQueueAppender.lo SyslogAppender.lo RemoteSyslogAppender.lo SimpleLayout.lo BasicLayout.lo PatternLayout.lo Category.lo CategoryStream.lo HierarchyMaintainer.lo Configurator.lo BasicConfigurator.lo SimpleConfigurator.lo PropertyConfigurator.lo PropertyConfiguratorImpl.lo LoggingEvent.lo Priority.lo NDC.lo Filter.lo TimeStamp.lo StringUtil.lo Properties.lo Win32DebugAppender.lo NTEventLogAppender.lo DllMain.lo DummyThreads.lo MSThreads.lo OmniThreads.lo PThreads.lo PortabilityImpl.lo AbortAppender.lo  -lpthread -lnsl -lsocket
CC -G -nolib -hliblog4shib.so.1 -o .libs/liblog4shib.so.1.0.2   .libs/Appender.o .libs/AppenderSkeleton.o .libs/LayoutAppender.o .libs/FileAppender.o .libs/RollingFileAppender.o .libs/FixedContextCategory.o .libs/IdsaAppender.o .libs/OstreamAppender.o .libs/StringQueueAppender.o .libs/SyslogAppender.o .libs/RemoteSyslogAppender.o .libs/SimpleLayout.o .libs/BasicLayout.o .libs/PatternLayout.o .libs/Category.o .libs/CategoryStream.o .libs/HierarchyMaintainer.o .libs/Configurator.o .libs/BasicConfigurator.o .libs/SimpleConfigurator.o .libs/PropertyConfigurator.o .libs/PropertyConfiguratorImpl.o .libs/LoggingEvent.o .libs/Priority.o .libs/NDC.o .libs/Filter.o .libs/TimeStamp.o .libs/StringUtil.o .libs/Properties.o .libs/Win32DebugAppender.o .libs/NTEventLogAppender.o .libs/DllMain.o .libs/DummyThreads.o .libs/MSThreads.o .libs/OmniThreads.o .libs/PThreads.o .libs/PortabilityImpl.o .libs/AbortAppender.o  -mt -lpthread -lnsl -lsocket
/opt/SUNWspro/prod/lib/CCrti.o: file not recognized: File format not recognized
make[1]: *** [liblog4shib.la] Error 1

RE: compile liblog4shib Solaris 10

Cantor, Scott E.
csross wrote on 2009-06-20:
>  I am compiling liblog4shib on Solaris 10 and received an error in the
> make (using SUNWspro cc and CC). Make is gnu make, as well as all the
> utilities (binutils).  I switched to gcc and g++ for this and it
> compiled fine. Libcurl compiled fine with Sun cc, although openssl
> didn't so I am going to use SFW openssl. I know the rules are to compile
> everything with Sun cc but since this one compiled fine with gcc, is it
> acceptable? Could it be something with libtool?

It could be anything. I simply don't get Solaris. It works for me, and
that's all I can tell you. Personally, I have no qualms advising people to
avoid Solaris at all costs. Beyond that I can provide support if something
breaks and it's built with the supported compiler.

I do NOT support gcc, no exceptions. Too many clean builds result in crashes
because the compiler isn't built properly. It's too much of a risk for me to
ever go there and get caught debugging people's compiler installs.

FWIW, I just did a re-build with the package from scratch, I didn't have to
do anything unusual. No errors building it. I *know* openssl builds fine. So
if you're getting errors, there's something pretty wrong on your box.

> -lpthread -lnsl -lsocket /opt/SUNWspro/prod/lib/CCrti.o: file not
> recognized: File format not recognized make[1]: *** [liblog4shib.la]
> Error 1

Sure sounds like your compiler is broken. Maybe that's the wrong
architecture library? x86 instead of sparc or something?

What happens if you build a dummy C++ program?

#include <string>

void main() {
        std::string s("Hello");
        std::cout << s;
}

Re: compile liblog4shib Solaris 10

csross
I received the same error when trying to compile xerces-c asj when I tried to compile lib4shib.  I'm using SunStudio v12.  Is anyone having success with another version?

Thanks

/opt/SUNWspro/prod/lib/CCrti.o: file not recognized: File format not recognized
make[1]: *** [/home1/users/cross/work/Solaris10/installedPackages/Shibboleth/xerces-c-src_2_8_0/lib/libxerces-depdom.so.28.0] Error 1
make[1]: Target `ALL' not remade because of errors.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home1/users/cross/work/Solaris10/installedPackages/Shibboleth/xerces-c-src_2_8_0/obj'
make: *** [/home1/users/cross/work/Solaris10/installedPackages/Shibboleth/xerces-c-src_2_8_0/lib/libxerces-c.so.28.0] Error 2
#

csross wrote
[...]

Christopher A Bongaarts
In the immortal words of csross:

> I received the same error when trying to compile xerces-c asj when I tried to
> compile lib4shib.  I'm using SunStudio v12.  Is anyone having success with
> another version?

General rule of thumb: always use the solaris-provided binutils
(i.e. have /usr/ccs/bin in your PATH ahead of any other tools).

> /opt/SUNWspro/prod/lib/CCrti.o: file not recognized: File format not
> recognized

Sounds like a binutils issue to me.  (Possibly could be from mixing 32
and 64-bit compiled objects, though usually the messages are different
in that case).

%%  Christopher A. Bongaarts  %%  [hidden email]       %%
%%  OIT/OIA Architecture      %%  http://umn.edu/~cab  %%
%%  University of Minnesota   %%  +1 (612) 625-1809    %%

Christopher A Bongaarts wrote on 2009-06-22:
> General rule of thumb: always use the solaris-provided binutils
> (i.e. have /usr/ccs/bin in your PATH ahead of any other tools).

I'll add that to the page, then, thanks.

Re: compile liblog4shib Solaris 10

Christopher A Bongaarts
In the immortal words of Scott Cantor:
> Christopher A Bongaarts wrote on 2009-06-22:
> > General rule of thumb: always use the solaris-provided binutils
> > (i.e. have /usr/ccs/bin in your PATH ahead of any other tools).
>
> I'll add that to the page, then, thanks.

One exception: GNU make is OK (and sometimes necessary).  We install
it as "gmake" and call it explicitly when Sun's make isn't up to the
task.

(I can add this bit to the wiki.)

%%  Christopher A. Bongaarts  %%  [hidden email]       %%
%%  OIT/OIA Architecture      %%  http://umn.edu/~cab  %%
%%  University of Minnesota   %%  +1 (612) 625-1809    %%

RE: compile liblog4shib Solaris 10

Cantor, Scott E.
Christopher A Bongaarts wrote on 2009-06-22:
>  One exception: GNU make is OK (and sometimes necessary).  We install it
> as "gmake" and call it explicitly when Sun's make isn't up to the task.
>
> (I can add this bit to the wiki.)

I had that in there already, but if you want to clean up the language,
that's fine.

Re: compile liblog4shib Solaris 10

Christopher A Bongaarts
In the immortal words of Scott Cantor:
> Christopher A Bongaarts wrote on 2009-06-22:
> >  One exception: GNU make is OK (and sometimes necessary).  We install it
> > as "gmake" and call it explicitly when Sun's make isn't up to the task.
> >
> > (I can add this bit to the wiki.)
>
> I had that in there already, but if you want to clean up the language,
> that's fine.

Just noticed that and I think it looks OK.

%%  Christopher A. Bongaarts  %%  [hidden email]       %%
%%  OIT/OIA Architecture      %%  http://umn.edu/~cab  %%
%%  University of Minnesota   %%  +1 (612) 625-1809    %%

Re: compile liblog4shib Solaris 10

csross
I downloaded 2 different versions of the compilers, etc, today and the compiles fail just as they did.  I saw on the post about log4shibd that it was recommended to use Sun binutils, so for the "Ccrti.o file format not recognized message" error, which I put back, and I get the same error.

Oh well, thanks for your help.

csross wrote

csross wrote on 2009-06-22:
> I am going to try Linux.  Sparc linux probably isn't supported?

Not by me. With Solaris 2.8 EOL, I now have no access to Sparc hardware at
all.

If you want to get anything out of switching to Linux, put CentOS 5 on an
x86 or x86_64 chip. SP install will take you all of 5 minutes from RPM.

Re: compile liblog4shib Solaris 10

csross
YES, I was able to compile log4shibd.  I moved the corresponding binutils back but that didn't work, so I also moved SUNld back.  This is the script I used.  Thank you very much and the other respondent for the suggestion.

#!/bin/sh
# Built on Solaris 10 with the native OpenSSL libraries
# Using Shibboleth recommended options

PATH=/usr/sfw/bin:/home1/Sunstudio/SUNWspro/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/dt/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/sbin; export PATH

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/shibboleth-sp/lib:/home1/Sunstudio/SUNWspro/lib:/usr/sfw/lib:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

env     CC=cc \
        CXX=CC \
        CFLAGS=-xO2 \
        CXXFLAGS=-xO2 \