Upgrading 3.3.0 to 3.3.3 - Private key file exists

Upgrading 3.3.0 to 3.3.3 - Private key file exists

Joshua Brodie
It's late at night and I may not be thinking straight.

I have been rolling the v3.3.0 to v3.3.3 upgrade across our environment.

On one particular server - the 'Hostname' and 'Backchannel Password' are triggered -- but not on the others -- what could be the cause for only being triggered on the 1 server?

[brodie@cheddar bin]$ ./install.sh

Source (Distribution) Directory (press <enter> to accept default): [/usr/src/shibboleth-identity-provider-3.3.3]

Installation Directory: [/opt/shibboleth-idp]

Hostname: [foobar.example.edu]

Backchannel PKCS12 Password:

Re: Upgrading 3.3.0 to 3.3.3 - Private key file exists

Nate Klingenstein-2

It's late at night so don't expect a coherent answer, either, but that usually means it found nothing at the path specified and so the build is treating this as a clean installation.

If that's how you're building the server deliberately, then don't worry about it because you'll be overwriting the entire configuration anyway.  Otherwise, you might want to see whether nothing's there, permissions are off, or so forth.

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 10:00 PM, Joshua Brodie <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's late at night and I may not be thinking straight.

I have been rolling the v3.3.0 to v3.3.3 upgrade across our environment.

On one particular server - the 'Hostname' and 'Backchannel Password' are triggered -- but not on the others -- what could be the cause for only being triggered on the 1 server?

[brodie@cheddar bin]$ ./install.sh

Source (Distribution) Directory (press <enter> to accept default): [/usr/src/shibboleth-identity-provider-3.3.3]

Installation Directory: [/opt/shibboleth-idp]

Hostname: [foobar.example.edu]

Backchannel PKCS12 Password:

RE: Upgrading 3.3.0 to 3.3.3 - Private key file exists

Rod Widdowson
> It's late at night so don't expect a coherent answer, either, but that usually means it found nothing at the path specified and so the build
> is treating this as a clean installation.

+1 to what Nate says.  It doesn't think you are doing an update, it thinks you are doing an install.  Specifically:

> the 'Hostname' and 'Backchannel Password' are triggered -- but not on the others -- what could be the cause for only being triggered on the 1 server?

Hostname:
        - (in 99% of the cases) it cannot find the file idp.properties

'Backchannel Password'
        - (in 99% of the cases) it cannot find the file relying-party.xml

/R