Thanks for the good work

Tom Noonan
We've been using the Shibboleth SP for just over a year, and in the last few weeks I needed to look into upgrading from V2 to V3 and enabling some security settings.  I was very pleasantly surprised to find that the V2 to V3 upgrade was seamless.  Thanks to our deployment methodology we can safely allow an aggressive update strategy, and I was happy to find that the upgrade path was so smooth we were already running V3 without even realizing it.  I also found the settings I needed to enable were already on by default, which is making my job easy and my management happy.

I'm always leery of major version changes as they all too often break as much as they fix.  It was refreshing to see the effort put into making sure that didn't happen here.  Thank you for your efforts.

--Tom Noonan II

Re: Thanks for the good work

Cantor, Scott E.
On 2/8/19, 9:45 AM, "dev on behalf of Tom Noonan" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm always leery of major version changes as they all too often break as much as they fix.  It was refreshing to see the
> effort put into making sure that didn't happen here.  Thank you for your efforts.

You're welcome. This wasn't the most major of "majors" mostly because of the available resources, but to the extent we had to make changes, the methodology to fork the configuration allowed for a pretty safe upgrade modulo a bug or two. But it's safe to say neither the SP or IdP are likely to see any major upgrade that's terribly disruptive again, the software just isn't at that point in its life cycle, nor am I.

FWIW, please do consider financial support of the project if you find the software useful. [1]

-- Scott

[1] https://www.shibboleth.net/consortium/support/