Shibboleth + NoSQL DB

Pulkit Srivastava
How easy it is to integrate Shibboleth with NoSQL db to store user credentials and user authentication details.

Thanks,
Pulkit

Re: Shibboleth + NoSQL DB

Peter Schober
* Pulkit Srivastava <[hidden email]> [2018-05-16 08:51]:
> How easy it is to integrate Shibboleth with NoSQL db to store user
> credentials and user authentication details.

You're asking about the Identity Provider software, written in Java?
I guess it could be doable if there were JNDI- or JDBC-like interfaces
exposed, though for authentication the IDP does not provide a JDBC
interface directly, you'd have to use JAAS (which is supported and
usable with JDBC connectors).

If you're about to develop something like that do use the dev mailing
list, though. (dev@ instead of users@).

Re: Shibboleth + NoSQL DB

Pulkit Srivastava
Thanks for the reply, one more question.

Can we integrate shibboleth Identity Provider with Amazon Dynamo DB using JAAS or any other interface?

Thanks

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 1:31 PM, Peter Schober <[hidden email]> wrote:
* Pulkit Srivastava <[hidden email]> [2018-05-16 08:51]:
> How easy it is to integrate Shibboleth with NoSQL db to store user
> credentials and user authentication details.

You're asking about the Identity Provider software, written in Java?
I guess it could be doable if there were JNDI- or JDBC-like interfaces
exposed, though for authentication the IDP does not provide a JDBC
interface directly, you'd have to use JAAS (which is supported and
usable with JDBC connectors).

If you're about to develop something like that do use the dev mailing
list, though. (dev@ instead of users@).

Re: Shibboleth + NoSQL DB

Peter Schober
* Pulkit Srivastava <[hidden email]> [2018-05-18 06:48]:
> Can we integrate shibboleth Identity Provider with Amazon Dynamo DB
> using JAAS or any other interface?

You'd have to ask the vendor what interfaces they expose.
From a quick look at the wikipedia page for that thing I see no
indication that it supported either JAAS or JDBC.

That doesn't mean it cannot be used, of course.

Re: Shibboleth + NoSQL DB

Alan Buxey
hi,

given that this is a question of various software solutions and words
- yes, you probably could - integration is all about having the right
mix of things and bits to talk to each other.  you might need some
lambda to talk to that DynamoDB backend rather than talk native to it
(but you'd probably want to do that for scaling anyway....) but why
are you fixated on NoSQL technology? what is the use case, why NoSQL
over a
relational DB?  what scaling are you expecting? what performance
issues are you concerned about for relational (and what issues have
you
not considered for NoSQL)?  maybe Amazon RDS is the service you really want?

alan

Re: Shibboleth + NoSQL DB

Gary Windham
FWIW, here’s a Shibboleth DynamoDB JAAS module I wrote, which we’re using at The University of Arizona w/ IdP 3.3.2:
https://bitbucket.org/ua_sia/jaas-dynamodb/. It’s based on Jan Oppolzer’s jaas-rdbms-hashed module (

Thanks,
—Gary

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 9:47 PM Pulkit Srivastava <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the reply, one more question.

Can we integrate shibboleth Identity Provider with Amazon Dynamo DB using JAAS or any other interface?

Thanks

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 1:31 PM, Peter Schober <[hidden email]> wrote:
* Pulkit Srivastava <[hidden email]> [2018-05-16 08:51]:
> How easy it is to integrate Shibboleth with NoSQL db to store user
> credentials and user authentication details.

You're asking about the Identity Provider software, written in Java?
I guess it could be doable if there were JNDI- or JDBC-like interfaces
exposed, though for authentication the IDP does not provide a JDBC
interface directly, you'd have to use JAAS (which is supported and
usable with JDBC connectors).

If you're about to develop something like that do use the dev mailing
list, though. (dev@ instead of users@).

Gary Windham

Senior Enterprise Systems Architect

The University of Arizona