OpenSAML V3 documentation

Chris Bulcock
Is there any documentation on OpenSAML V3 other than that at https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/OS30

I’m looking for some examples like those provided in the V2 documentation.

Chris

Re: OpenSAML V3 documentation

Brent Putman

On 3/18/16 7:49 AM, Chris Bulcock wrote:
Is there any documentation on OpenSAML V3 other than that at https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/OS30

Not, unfortunately not yet.  It hasn't been a high priority b/c 1) external usage of OpenSAML isn't the highest priority for the Shibboleth project in general, relative to other work, and 2) probably 90% of it is pretty much the same as v2, modulo changes in package names, and in some cases class names (but not fundamental API).

Upfront the major change is instead of calling:

DefaultBootstrap.bootstrap()

you instead call:

InitializationService.initialize()

There are some significant changes in classes involved in SAML metadata resolution (MetadataProvider vs MetadataResolver).   Many people do not use this at all I suspect.

The biggest change is in the messaging layer: decoders, encoders and message handling.  But again, many people didn't use those components anyway; it was never really documented for v2, for example.

Most people care mostly about the XMLObject providers for the Java-XML binding layer, and that is virtually identical.

I’m looking for some examples like those provided in the V2 documentation.

Much of what is actually in the v2 User Manual is still directly usable.  In fact when we do undertake to document v3 we'll probably start with cloning that wiki space and then editing.

Re: the XMLObject provider stuff there, the only big difference is that: instead of obtaining builders/marshallers/unmarshallers from a class called Configuration, they are obtained from an instance of XMLObjectProviderRegistry.  For working with the global instance of that there are some relevant convenience methods available via XMLObjectProviderRegistrySupport, and some even higher-level convenience methods in class XMLObjectSupport.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask here.

Thanks,
Brent

Re: OpenSAML V3 documentation

Stefan Rasmusson
Hi Steve
I just released a new edition of my book, A Guide to OpenSAML. The book has been updated to cover OpenSAML V3. I hope this can help you in the in the absens of documentation.

The book contains the following additions
  • Sample project updated for V3
  • All the previous text and examples, updated for V3
  • New chapters on message handlers and message contexts
  • A rudimentary migration guide from V2 to V3
The book is available for purchase here https://gumroad.com/l/ypPk

--
Stefan