Monitoring SP

Mahabalagiri, Datta

Hi,

How are people monitoring shibd (performance, usage, availability, more importantly sign of problems etc.)? Is there any tool that monitors shibd daemon? I must say we haven’t had frequent problems. But, if there is a problem it will be nice to know before users start calling

I can think of two ways – Scan shibd.log for ERRORs or FATALs  and  Query status at http://mi14.dev.ais.ucla.edu/Shibboleth.sso/Status . There’s got to be a better way. I appreciate if you can share .

Thanks,

Datta Mahabalagiri

RE: Monitoring SP

Cantor, Scott E.
Mahabalagiri, Datta wrote on 2009-06-17:
> I can think of two ways - Scan shibd.log for ERRORs or FATALs  and  Query
> status at http://mi14.dev.ais.ucla.edu/Shibboleth.sso/Status . There's got
> to be a better way. I appreciate if you can share .

The Status handler is meant more as an example to build on than a useful
tool. Scanning the logs is a good idea, as perhaps using the syslog appender
might be, to avoid having to do any special tooling for that.

Re: Monitoring SP

* Mahabalagiri, Datta <[hidden email]> [2009-06-17 19:24]:
> How are people monitoring shibd (performance, usage, availability, more
> importantly sign of problems etc.)? Is there any tool that monitors
> shibd daemon? I must say we haven't had frequent problems. But, if there
> is a problem it will be nice to know before users start calling

Currently we're only monitoring if shibd is running (via SNMP and
Nagios). So far this has been sufficient,
-peter