LocalDynamicMetadataProvider and caching settings

LocalDynamicMetadataProvider and caching settings

Michael A Grady
So if one uses the LocalDynamicMetadataProvider, and updates one of the files in the directory that you've defined for it, do the min and maxCacheDuration settings impact how quickly that change will "become noticed and the effective metadata for that entityID updated"?

I assume that as soon as one adds a new file to that directory, and then the IdP gets an AuthnRequest for that entityID, the new file will be noticed and be used "as soon as needed". Is that a correct assumption?

--
Michael A. Grady
IAM Architect, Unicon, Inc.

RE: LocalDynamicMetadataProvider and caching settings

Cantor, Scott E.
> So if one uses the LocalDynamicMetadataProvider, and updates one of the
> files in the directory that you've defined for it, do the min and
> maxCacheDuration settings impact how quickly that change will "become
> noticed and the effective metadata for that entityID updated"?

Yes, far as I can tell. I already filed an issue to improve that, in particular because if you tune it very frequently, every "reload" is blind, it does a full parse and replace no matter whether anything changed, and inline to a request. So there's a clear tension between performance and refreshes, and that's not a necessary tradeoff when "stat" exists.

> I assume that as soon as one adds a new file to that directory, and then the
> IdP gets an AuthnRequest for that entityID, the new file will be noticed and
> be used "as soon as needed". Is that a correct assumption?

Yes, that part works fine.