IdP memory requirements

Tom Scavo
Rod and I are working on the metadata docs and the question of memory
requirements has come up, which is not surprising given the file size
of some metadata instances. This question has come up many times
before but oddly I can not find the project's formal recommendations
with respect to IdP memory. I'm probably just missing something.

All of the java container pages [1,2,3] suggest the same thing: the
maximum amount of memory used by the container should be set to at
least 1.5GB for metadata files > 25MB. (This is not new, I'm just
reiterating what's in the docs.) However, the container pages are not
official recommendations. I was expecting to find something about
memory requirements on the SystemRequirements page [4] but I'm not
seeing it. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Tom

[1] Jetty93 https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/x/94A9AQ
[2] Jetty92 https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/x/IAAUAQ
[3] ApacheTomcat8 https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/x/JQAUAQ
[4] https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/x/OYEOAQ

RE: IdP memory requirements

Cantor, Scott E.

> Rod and I are working on the metadata docs and the question of memory
> requirements has come up, which is not surprising given the file size of some
> metadata instances. This question has come up many times before but oddly I
> can not find the project's formal recommendations with respect to IdP
> memory. I'm probably just missing something.

We have none, it's load and metadata dependent. Pick a value and you test and if it doesn't work you raise it.