IdP doesn't work

n3mesi83
Hi,
i'm trying to install IdP and SP on my local machine for some tests, but my IdP doesn't work.
I've followed the istructions found on internet2.edu, section: Installing the IdP...
i'm on windows system, I use apache tomcat 6.0.28 as servlet container (but not installed as service...i run it by command [tomcathome]/bin/startup ...
I've created a folder called endorsed in tomcat home, so: [tomcathome]/endorsed...
in this folder i've added the jars: resolver-2.9.1, serializer-2.9.1, xalan-2.7.1, xercesImpl-2.9.1 and xml-apis-2.9.1...
next, the guide says:
    *  Note: Tomcat 6 has removed automatic inclusion of the endorsed directory so you have to add it by adjusting the -Djava.endorsed.dirs=  parameter of your launch scripts.
First Problem:
What does it mean? I don't understand if i've to edit some configuration file...
after, it says:
Add the following parameters to the JAVA_OPTS environment variable (all ### is the amount of memory in megabytes to allow for the option):
    * -Xmx###m - this is the maximum amount of memory that Tomcat may use, at least 512M is recommended
    * -XX:MaxPermSize=###m - (Sun JVM specific option) the maximum amount of memory allowed for the permanent generation object space. Set this to half of the maximum memory (specified above) or 512M, whichever is less.
Second Problem:
I don't udenstand...i've to edit my windows environment variable? There, i've not JAVA_OPTS...i've to create that?

i've ignored those things, and i've continued with the installation...i've downloaded the latest IdP, V2.1.5, and i i've ran the install.bat..deployed the war with tomcat manager...
when i try to go to: https://localhost/idp/profile/Status, i get NOT FOUND:
when i try to go to: https://localhost:8080/idp/profile/Status, i get: Secure Connection Failed, SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum allowable size. Error code:  ssl_error_rx_record_too_long

What's wrong? Is this problem related to endorsed folder or JAVA_OPTS?