ISAPI extension can only be invoked to process Shibboleth protocol

ISAPI extension can only be invoked to process Shibboleth protocol

Deepesh Shah

Dear Friends,

We are trying to implement Shibboleth on one of our site (https://ssl.anatomy.tv/secure) and having some problems testing it.

we have followed all the process mentioned on the site and get the green arrow for the Shib_Isapi DLL

but unfortunately when we try testing the configuration we get the below error message

Shibboleth Error

ISAPI extension can only be invoked to process Shibboleth protocol requests.Make sure the mapped file extension doesn't match actual content.

the server on which we are testing this is a Windows 2000 machine and runs IIS5

I have attached the Shibboleth2.xml

can anyone please help? I have already tried all the different suggestions made on  http://news.gmane.org/group/gmane.comp.web.shibboleth.user/last=672 and other Google entries

but still no luck

many thanks

Deepesh Shah

Head of Programming
Primal Pictures, 4th Floor Tennyson House, 159 Great Portland St, London, W1W 5PA

www.primalpictures.com | www.anatomy.tv

Tel:  +44 (0) 20 7637 1010 | Fax +44 (0) 20 7636 7776 | US e-Fax 347 438 2980

shibboleth2.xml (6K) Download Attachment

Re: ISAPI extension can only be invoked to process Shibboleth protocol

Pavel Krejčí
2009/6/19 Deepesh Shah <[hidden email]>:

> the server on which we are testing this is a Windows 2000 machine and runs
> IIS5

Have you tried adding the spoofKey? Can't see it in your configuration.

"If you're running Windows 2000 or earlier, you will need to manually
create a spoofKey setting, or the filter will not load (see below)."
https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/SHIB2/secadv_20090615

Greetings
Pavel Krejčí

RE: ISAPI extension can only be invoked to process Shibboleth protocol

Cantor, Scott E.
Pavel Krejčí wrote on 2009-06-19:
> 2009/6/19 Deepesh Shah <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> the server on which we are testing this is a Windows 2000 machine and
runs
>> IIS5
>>

> Have you tried adding the spoofKey? Can't see it in your configuration.
>
> "If you're running Windows 2000 or earlier, you will need to manually
> create a spoofKey setting, or the filter will not load (see below)."
> https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/SHIB2/secadv_20090615

That message wouldn't appear if the filter itself wasn't loading, so if this
is Windows 2000, and there's no spoofKey defined, then it's not running the
latest 2.2 SP, which of course is a really, really bad idea in light of the
advisory.

With respect to the error, it usually means the hostname hasn't been
properly defined to the SP. Looking at your file, you've put URLs into the
Site and RequestMap Host mappings, which is illegal. The "name" attribute is
for the hostname. Port and scheme are set separately if they aren't
defaulted.

I believe correcting that should fix it.

-- Scott