Attribute naming

elster
So I am working with this shibboleth Identity Provider, and I realized that none of the attribute OID names match up with the conventional names.  Now I am working with a Service Provider, and am hoping this won't become a problem (especially since there are other service providers that use this IdP).

I have some limited experience on the Service Provider side.  Is this a problem for a service provider?  I know service providers can map different attributes to different local names, but do they have this level of control for each identity provider that they are working with.

For an example:
Institution A names their 'last name' attribute urn:oid:1.2.3.4
Institution B names their 'last name' attribute urn:oid:1.3.2.4

Can a service provider say to use urn:oid.1.2.3.4 for Institution A and urn:oid.1.3.2.4 for Institution B?