Apache proxy to IIS

Chad Phillips
Hi,

I new to Shibboleth.  I have an Apache server with the SP installed.  It works fine.  We have one application that runs on IIS.  For that application, I have Apache reverse proxy to IIS.

If I set:
ShibUseHeaders On

Then the request headers get sent to IIS, and the .Net application reads them just fine.

But I read that I should not use request headers.

Does that apply to IIS though?

"On IIS and Sun/iPlanet, the request header mechanism is the only one supported."

So in my case, where the SP runs on Apache, but traffic is then reverse proxied off to IIS, is there any other option than turning ShibUserHeaders on?

thanks
chad

RE: Apache proxy to IIS

Rod Widdowson
> I new to Shibboleth.  I have an Apache server with the SP installed.  It works fine.  We have one application that
> runs on IIS.  For that
> application, I have Apache reverse proxy to IIS.

If I understand you properly, as far as Shibboleth is concerned IIS is irrelevant.  As far as the SP is concerned the "Application" is on Apache, in this case the "Application" is the reverse proxy to IIS.

So the question you appear to be asking has nothing to do Shibboleth and is "Can the Apache Reverse Proxy provide information to IIS derived from server variables?".

/R

Re: Apache proxy to IIS

* Chad Phillips <[hidden email]> [2018-05-23 00:56]:
> I new to Shibboleth.  I have an Apache server with the SP installed.  It
> works fine.  We have one application that runs on IIS.  For that
> application, I have Apache reverse proxy to IIS.

The Shibboleth SP also supports MS-IIS, so why not install it there,
and treat both fully independently, with full protocol fidelity (no
proxying)?